In this lesson we will select a word and make a visual representation of it. We will design a word in a way that expresses it's meaning by choosing a suitable font, playing with the arrangement of the letters and manipulating the typeface.
Understanding typography design can help you make power points for school, design a personal website or create your business identity. It's handy skill to have!
What is Typography?
Typography is the art of making written text visually appealing, expressive and legible. Typography design includes the selection of fonts and modifying it's size, colour, letter spacing and layout.
What you need
- sketch pad
Here are a list of words you can choose from: angry, sad, cold, hungry, mad, happy, sick, strong, thin, hard, soft, ugly, pretty, soft, light, thing, heavy, old, free, etc.. You may also use other words that are not on the list.
What you do
- Select a word that you would like to design.
- Draw several thumbnail sketches of your word design. Play around with the font style, thickness of the lines and the arrangement of the letters.
- Get feedback from your classmates. Choose the ideas that you like the most and develop them further.
- Progress to colouring your designs. Remember to choose colours that best conveys the meaning of your word.
- Once you are finished, explain the reasoning for your design to the class.